12 April 2009

16 June 06 - Everybody Lies

I don't care who you are, at some point in your life, you lie about something.  I've lied.  I lie every day.  When someone asks how I'm doing, "Fine," is my typical response, even if I'm not fine.  So, I lied.  Big deal.  No one wants to know that I'm doing fantastic today, or if I'm feeling like shit because I'm all gassy and bloated.  So, we do what we feel is simple and nice, we lie.

Not all lies are simple and harmless.   Sometimes we are blatent liars.  We are devious, deceitful, yet sometimes subtle about our lies, and what we chose to lie about.  We lie to protect ourselves and we lie to protect others.  In the long run, actually nothing good comes from lying.

How do we learn to lie?  When we are little, to avoid getting in trouble, we lie about silly things such as "did you spill this?" or "did you break this?"
Is that why we lie as adults?  Do we prepare our entire lives to perfect our lies?  Even though our parents thought us that lying is bad, we did it anyway.

The bible tells us that lying is a sin and the devil is the father of all lies.
 
The truthful lip shall be established forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment. (Proverbs 12:19)

Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. (Matthew 5:11)

Therefore, putting away lying, "Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor." for we are members of one another. (Ephesians 4:25)

But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death. (Revelation 21:8)


Inspite of all of this, we continue to lie.  Not just the regular sinners such as myself, but everyone. Are we just conditioned to lie?
Has this become so habitual and addictive that we just can't stop?

It all starts with what we see as a harmless lie, that rolls into something bigger.  Eventually it grows out of our control and we are leading a false life because we don't want to the truth to be seen.
We pretend that things are other than how they actually are.  We do this for social acceptance.  We even start to believe our own lies.

Our lies create walls; barriers around our true identity within which our souls are weakened by each lie we tell.  So why do we do this?
Do we know when to stop lying and confess to everyone that you have decieved them? 

No.  We only confess some.  If we were to admit to all of our falsities, we would be lost, in a world of the unknown.  By admitting to ourself that some things were lies, we gradually accept the truth, and it doesn't hurt as much.
Yet with this, we continue to harbor the lies we think aren't important.

"It doesn't matter if he never knew I wasn't a virgin when we had sex.  He'll never find out, especially since we aren't together anymore."
That may not matter to you, but I'm sure it matters to him.

"I won't tell him about my past because it is too shocking and he can't handle knowing that."
How do you know what he can or cannot handle?  Omission is betrayal.  It's not up to you to decide how he feels.  You're the one who has to live with the guilt of betrayal.

"I don't know why my credit card didn't go through, I just made a payment."
The smallest of lies only make us look foolish when discovered.  I don't know about you, but I already look foolish enough without someone knowing I'm a damn liar.

Everybody lies, and because of this, I expect it, from everyone. You may embellish on some things.  You may flat out lie to me about others.  It doesn't matter, because I don't really believe you anyway.  It's sad that I'm like this.  I want to believe in the truth, but I can't because everyone lies.

I know that some things said are true, but forgive me if I call bullshit.

No comments: