12 April 2009

26 July 08 - Making up for lost Dr.Visits

My health insurance kicked in, full force this month.  So far, I've been wearing the shit out of it!  Damn, if they don't hate me yet, they will be kicking themselves for insuring me soon!

First, I just made a few normal appointments.  I have been having crazy, feels like I'm 16, mad acne breakouts for the past few months.  It's been insane!  So, I decided to see a dertmatologist.  That went pretty well.  I'm using RetinA and taking tetracycline.  I lucked out on the cost of RetinA, getting it for FREE!  I also love kRog's $4 scrip list!

Secondly, since I haven't had a menstrual period since April-ish, I went to see an OB/GYN.  My bloodwork came back normal, and we discussed birth control options.  No big deal.

A week later, my knee started feeling sore.  Nothing major, just kind of achy.  I thought that it either had to do with my excercising or standing up all night the night before at the Jimmy Buffett concert I went to.

The next day the pain was worse, and progressively worse as the days went by.  So, Monday I called to get a primary care doctor so I could get my knee checked out.

First, let me tell you about trying to get the appointment.  I chose to stay with the Lexington Clinic, because that's who my OB/GYN is with and they have offices all over town plus an after hours care center.

When I called, I asked the woman who answered, what the clinic hours were.  She asked me what doctor.  I said, any family doctor.  She put me on hold and transferred me to someone's voicemail.

I hung up and called back, getting the same damn woman.  I tried to be a bit more specific, and say I was needing a new family doctor and wanted to know the hours.  Before I could say anything else, I got the hold and transfer again.

Now I'm pissed the fuck off.  I call for a third time and guess who answers?  The first thing I say is, "Does anyone else answer the phones besides you?"  She kind of laughed and said yes.  I was angry and told her I had called twice before wanting help and she was not giving me any, just transferring me.

She seemed to listen a little better this time when I told her I needed a new doctor and needed one who opened early so I wouldn't have to miss much work.  Finally, I was sent to the right person, who answered and got me an appointment for Thursday morning.

By Thursday my knee was swollen and hurting much worse.  Hopefully the doctor would help!  When I got to the clinic, I had to stand in line for 15 minutes to check in.  I'm sure that was good on my knee.

The doc checked out my knee, ordered some blood tests and an xray.  The lab took FIVE vials of blood!  Holy piss!  Why did they need FIVE?  I still have no idea, but maybe in the next few days I will and will let you know too.

It took no time to get the xrays back and the doctor said they looked normal, but there was a slight sign of inflammation.  She ordered an MRI for Friday morning, at the clinic across town, close to my office.  She gave me a sample of Flector patches to put on my knee, and I stood at the window for a good 20 minutes while the nurse made my mri appointment.

That night, I noticed my left foot, mainly ankle, was swollen.  Awesome.  I put the Flector patch on my leg, took some ibuprophine and went to bed.  Those patches, by the way, suck.

Friday morning I went and had the MRI done, taking a nice nap during, and my knee was still hurting.  Only now, both knees hurt because I was limping and putting more pressure on my right knee.  The pain changed to stiff achiness and every time I walked, I felt like the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz, and my knees needed oiling.

I noticed my foot/ankle was swollen again and became concerned, so I called the doctor's office.  The nurse told me to go to the after hours clinic.  So I went after work.

The pain was now so bad, that if it got any worse, I would have been in tears.  Seriously.  I was walking slower than a 90 old granny with a walker.  Back in the exam room, I laid down and tried to rest until the doc came in.

I think she was just out of school because her bedside manner was questionable.  She asked me if I had gotten the results of my MRI yet.  I said no, and she asked me what I thought was wrong.  Then she said, "Well I know the results of your MRI, and you have a fracture in your tibia."

Okay, if you KNEW the results, why didn't you just fucking come out and TELL me in the first damn place?  If I wasn't hurting so much, I would have been such a bitch about that.

One of the nurses came in with a brace for my knee and a set of crutches.  Have you ever used crutches?  They completely suck gigantor saggy oldman balls!  I'm not supposed to put any weight on my left leg, so using the crutches is hard, and hurts my underarm pits.  Owie!

I could tel you stories of how, when I went to pick up my script for Ultram, I hobbled around kRog, but that would be pretty boring. 

Why is it, when you are visibly injured and on crutches, people look at you like you have an under developed arm growing out of your forehead?

Oh yeah, the crappy doc who did my last exam referred me to an orthopedic surgeon's office, but they aren't open until Monday.  I guess I'll find out more about my sitch then.

No comments: